Lately I’ve been on the hunt for healthier recipes to make for my family. I headed over to trusty Pinterest (when in doubt check Pinterest out) and found this great round up from Shugary Sweets: 50+Skinny Dinner & Snack Ideas. The dish that caught my eye was the Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers which just so happen to be from the wonderfully talented Aimee from Shugary Sweets. They came out great and were too good not to share with all of you!
- 3/4 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TSP kosher salt
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can black beans-rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn-drained
- 2 C jasmine rice
- 8 sweet red peppers
- 1 C colby jack cheese
- Green onions for topping
- Wash red peppers and slice the tops off each pepper.
- Remove the seeds. Stand each pepper up next to eachother in a large baking dish (13x9).
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until cooked
- Combine cumin, salt, tomatoes, black bean and sweet corn into browned ground beef and let simmer 10 minutes
- Cook Jasmine rice according to package
- Add rice to skillet mixture, mix and remove from heat
- Fill each red pepper with ground beef mixture and cover dish with foil
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
- Remove foil and top with cheese
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with green onions, enjoy!
This recipe makes 8 stuffed peppers but since I was only feeding myself and Jeremy I purchased 4 stuffed peppers (2 to eat at dinner and 2 for next day lunch left overs). The remaining stuffed pepper mixture I put in containers and froze for the next time I want to make this for dinner, the only thing I will have to do is buy 4 sweet red peppers.
Add to favorites